Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Innocent Little Me.. and Mary Jane's Last Dance






In 1993, ( I was 12 yrs old) Mary Jane's Last Dance was my favorite songs.....that was before I knew much about drugs other than Nancy Reagan wanted me to just say no.   I even had the single cassette tape so I'm guessing my parents didn't know what Mary Jane's Last Dance was regarding either.  Lucky for me, I had 3 older brothers that could educate me on such things.    Being a romantic at heart, I just assumed that Mary Jane was someone the singer loved and he would only have one last dance with her before she left town.  One second I was on top of the world enjoying my love affair with Mary Jane's Last Dance, and next my innocence was crushed.  My brother informed me that the song was about marijuana (gasp).  I was heart broken.  I tried and tried to argue that the song was about a man missing a woman to no avail.   It was right then and there that I had to break it off with the song about illegal drugs.  Yep, I'm a rule follower.  Unfortunately,  I've never quite recovered....this incident was only topped by finding out what the phrase, "is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me."  meant.  Crushed again.





No comments:

Post a Comment